Sunday, December 13, 2009

Byzantine Mirror

Guys, I hate flying. The concept of clear-air turbulence drives me nuts! That's AIR for heaven's sake, why should it be as bumpy as an old country road? Something does not add here, in my mind.

Yes, mind. Mind is a crazy thing (well, at least mine is). So, I really need to work hard to take it from disaster-thoughts and plant sometwhat more useful instead of those. What can be better than beading (especially, combined with a shot of single malt times two)? Last month I had to fly twice, and I was working on the central part of this necklace. This is why it got so big - I had to pass total of 4 hours (landings and take-offs not included). It, actually, has helped my anxiety! And resulted in a necklace, which is good too ;)

After giving it a good look, it reminded me of antique brass mirrors, hence the name.


Connecting the massive central part to the rope was a bit of a challenge. Finally, I came up with a solution that you can see here:

But then there was quite a conflict between the weight of the pendant and a webb-like connection, which I was not really feeling like re-making (yeah, lazy!). So, I figured that the fringe would ballance that up. And knowing myself it was highly improbable that it was going to be an ordinary fringe.

So, a huge pendant born in scare for flying, turned out as a odd necklace. ;)
You never know...

10 comments:

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

Absolutely gorgeous Olga! Fabulous colors and design. I completely understand about the fear of flying. Ever since 9-11 I have not been on a plane!

Rachele said...

Beautiful Olga!! I really like how you used your beading as your actual therapy!! Who needs a therepist when you can bead....I hope you and your family are all feeling better. Gorgeous Necklace!!
Hugs,
Rachele

Alexandra said...

Olga, it's amazing necklace!!
Beading is good therapy for many kinds of fear :)
Best regards, Alexandra

Dawn N said...

Beautiful! I love the colors and your fringe is great.

Enchanted said...

Another beautiful piece Olga! Love your color pallet! I've niot tried beading while flying ...yet! But then, I don't get on an airplane often enough to try it!
Louisa

Foxan said...

Thank you, dear friends! :)

Indeed - beading is the best form of therapy!

NAAN POCEN said...

I love the way you play with colour and texture. Lovely piece.

messini design said...

Fantastiskt vackert smycke, du är ju fenomenal! Var så kul att träffa dig igår!Jag går gärna på kurs hos dig efter jul. Här får du adressen till Signerat.

www.signerat.se

God jul!:D
Karin

Marlaine said...

It's a beautiful necklace! And a heck of a reason to create it!

Anonymous said...

That necklace looks magical! It is fit for a Queen.

Shinkumi