Monday, April 26, 2010

Back from FACETT-2010!

Sweden is smaller than Russia or U.S.A., and there are less beaders living here. This weekend, MANY of us, Swedish beaders, have gathered for annual Facett beading convention in Stockholm.
That was so well needed beading vacation! I met many old friends and made many new ones, gave two workshops in freeform and took one myself (polymer clay). It was just SO MUCH FUN, you cannot imagine! Organizers, you rock!

I spent fortune on beads ;) However, I've managed also to win some... After three days of non-stop beading, I came home with six new additions to my Etsy store - those will be added gradually.

One of the beading competitions that I have entered was named "Maffigt!", that could be translated as "Bib". The stuff made for it was supposed to be just that - bib. Earlier that day, I've bought some sparkly dichroic cabs, Czech charlottes 8/0, round 6/0 mix and Bali-style beads that were somewhere inbetween bronze and gold. The idea struck me like a lightening. The huge glass cross came into the picture a bit later that night, it was necessary for ballancing the composition.

I called it "Gothic Magpie". It feels a bit vampirish-gothica-something, but not that dark. The cabs remind me of the european magpie (Pica pica). Had to link to a picture, because the Australian magpies look totally different :)



Will be on display in my Etsy shop as soon as I find a measuring tape ;)

P.S. Oups, forgot to mention - my Magpie won first prize!

6 comments:

Pastiche said...

All I can say is WOW... Olga it looks fantastic. I love the shape and the colours, you have the balance just right

Foxan said...

Thanks a lot, very kind of you!

Marsha Wiest-Hines said...

Your work is so eclectic and exciting. You really respond to the materials, rather than making th same thing again and again in different colors. Love this, and again, more congratulations.

Croqueuse de perles said...

It is a pleasur to visit your blog... Your jewels are so beautiful... Hello from France !

Croqueuse de perles said...

It is a pleasur to visit your blog... Your jewels are so beautiful... Hello from France !

Cory said...

Beautiful...and congratulations on the win.